think twice 再三考慮
♬例The exorbitant price of the new fax machine made me think twice about buying it.
新傳真機的價格過高,我還在慎重考慮要不要買。
類 think over
Opportunity seldom rings twice. 良機稍縱即逝。
♬例
A: Should I take the job?
我該不該接受這個工作?
B: I would. Opportunity seldom rings twice.
要是我,我會。好機會不會降臨第二次。
機會是不等人的,“Opportunity seldom rings twice.” 表達的就是這個意涵。另,也有很多人以 “knock(敲門)取代 “ring”(鈴響)。
once bitten, twice shy
一朝被蛇咬,十年怕草繩
例
A: Let’s go to that all-you-can-eat hot pot place tonight! What do you say?
今晚我們去那家吃到飽火鍋店吧!你覺得怎麼樣?
B: What? Hell no! Don’t you remember what happened last time?
什麼?我才不要!你忘記上次發生了什麼事嗎?
A: Oh, yeah. I guess you did spend a couple hours in the bathroom after we got home.
噢,對齁。我們回到家後你一直跑廁所。
B: Right. Once bitten, twice shy. Just bring me back a sandwich or a rice ball or something.
對啊。一朝被蛇咬,十年怕草繩。幫我帶個三明治或飯糰之類的回來就好了。
Measure twice, cut once.
三思而後行
例
A: Uh oh. I put too much kirsch in the fondue.
噢喔,我放太多櫻桃酒到起司鍋裡了。
B: You know what they say: “Measure twice, cut once.”
俗話說:「測量兩次,切割一次」啊,小心一點。
A: Yeah, I’ll use a measuring spoon next time.
嗯,我下次會用量匙。
Cheap at twice the price!
非常便宜!
例
A: This pen is great!
這支筆超棒的!
B: Yeah, it was only 10 dollars. Cheap at twice the price!
對啊,才 10 元。就算價格翻倍也都還很便宜!